Ex-Tottenham player, Anton Walkes dies in US boat crash
According to US police on Thursday, professional football player Anton Walkes died from injuries sustained in a boat disaster off the coast of Miami.
The 25-year-old Walkes was a player at Charlotte FC of the Major League Soccer, MLS, US.
The state agency in a statement said Walkes was operating one of the boats that crashed.
It was unclear whether anyone else was injured but the agency has launched an investigation into the boat mishap.
Walkes began his career at Tottenham and later transferred to Portsmouth before moving to the United States last year.
Charlotte FC owner David Tepper remarked that everyone at the club was “devastated by the tragic passing of Anton Walkes.”
“He was a tremendous son, father, partner, and teammate whose joyous approach to life touched everyone he met,” Tepper said in a statement released by the club.
Walkes signed with Charlotte for the club’s inaugural MLS season in 2022. This season, he appeared in 23 games with 21 starts and had five shots on goal.
“Anton made those around him better people in all areas of life and represented Charlotte FC to the highest standard both on and off the pitch,” Tepper stated.
The MLS released a statement saying “there are no words to describe the sorrow of everyone in Major League Soccer today.”
“Anton was a talented and dedicated player who was loved by his teammates and fans,” the statement said.
Charlotte FC teammate Jaylin Lindsey said he was “heartbroken” to learn the news.
“Fly high my brother, you’re the best teammate I could’ve asked for,” Lindsey Tweeted. “Love you man.”
Tottenham Hotspur also tweeted, “We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of former player, Anton Walkes. The thoughts of everyone at the Club are with his family and friends at this incredibly sad time.”